- Intake and orientation with friendly, supportive staff.
- Academic assessment related to basic skills in the workplace.
- Aptitude and career interested surveys to match a job to an individual's skills and interests.
- Learning style inventories to determine how individual students learn best.
- Referral to support services if needed for childcare, transportation, etc.
- Labor market information via the internet.
- Access point to the WORK4WV Career Centers.
- Special learning needs screening and reasonable accommodations for adults with particualr learning difficulties.
- Vision and hearing screening at the Oak Hill site
Course topics include:
- ACT WorkKeys Preparation
- GED Test Preparation
- Computer Literacy
- Job Readiness
- Employment and Civil Service Test Preparation
- Pre-vocational training (pre-computer applications)
- English as a Second Language (for non-native speakers)
- SAT/ACT/ASVAB Preparation (college and military entrance exams)
- Distance Learning (homebound students)
- A Variety of special topic classes!
Special Services to Business & Industry
(Customized by the West Virginia Department of Education - Division of Technical and Adult Education Services 1-800-642-2670)
- Customized pre-hire basic skills assessments to help companies in the selection process of new employees. Assessment is tied directly to specific jobs so it can provide a baseline for further company training.
- On-site, customized workplace education classes for existing employees in need of upgraded core skills. A job tasks analysis is conducted to determine the specific skills to be addressed in the 30-40 hour courses.
- Job Profiling to help employers better understand the training needs of their companies.
- Links (Linking Instruction to New Knowledge & Skills) for new and expanding businesses. Classes are customized to each company's skill needs and offered free of charge to the public to increase a qualified applicant pool.
Skills That Employers Need
- Oral and Written Communication Skills
- Listening and Speaking Skills
- computer Literacy
- Learning Skills
- Personal Work Attributes
- Career Exploration
- Job Search Skills
- Employee Rights & Responsibilities
- Unemployment Survival
- Social Studies
- Goal Setting
- Personal Management
- Wellness and Safety
- Multi-cultural Awareness
- Family Relationships and Parenting
- Plus a variety of specialized courses!
Fayette Institute of Technology|
300 West Oyler Ave.
Oak Hill, West Virginia 25901
Free ABE/GED Classes
Monday through Thursday - 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday - 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Free YOUTHBUILD ABE
Monday through Friday - 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
West Virginia University Institute of Technology
Community and Technical College
Davis hall - Room 401
Montgomery, West Virginia
Free ABE/GED Classes
Call for current hours.
Computer Literacy Classes
"This Is the ON Button"
(call 304.469.2911 ext 7106 for information)
- ACT WorkKeys assesment prep via KeyTrain software
- One-on-one and small group tutoring for college students in English and math
- Essential Basic Skills for pre-college math and English
- Senior Citizen Computer Classes
- One-on-one Literacy Instruction (with trained literacy instructors)
- Introduction to Computers
- Writing Skills for the GED
- Writing Skills for the Workplace
- Writing Skills for Personal Enjoyment
- English as a Second Language (Oak Hill site only)